There are a lot of misconceptions about vegan recipes, especially when it comes to all-time favourite dishes like burgers, pizza, pasta and desserts. You often hear people wondering if it will be bland or how it will taste without the main meat feature, but rest assured – vegan pizza recipes are incredibly delicious. Even meat lovers will be amazed!
Whether you're new to trying vegan recipes or if you're hosting pizza night and have vegan friends and family coming over, they'll appreciate this delicious, homemade pizza recipe.
What Is Vegan Pizza?
A vegan diet refers to not eating any animal products. This includes meat, fish, dairy, eggs, and honey – ingredients typically included on a regular pizza and in regular pizza dough. But luckily, there are many new and delicious vegan products on the market today that include vegan dairy alternatives (almond, cashew, and oat milk for example), vegan cheese made from the same alternatives, meat replacements such as tofu or tempeh. For this specific recipe, we're going to just be using vegetables!
So while you may need to say goodbye to traditional parmesan cheese, there are ways to easily replace this ingredient.
Try Our Vegan Tomato Sauce
It's completely up to you whether or not you want to make your own pizza sauce. If you want to save yourself time, try our delicious all-natural, vegan, and gluten-free twelve veggie tomato sauce. It's not just for vegans either. Meat eaters love our blend of diced tomatoes, onion, zucchini, turnip, and spices and not just on a pizza either! It can also be used as a pasta marinara sauce, enjoyed over rice, or used in soup.
If you're looking for a white sauce-based pizza sauce, try our savoury mushroom basil sauce instead!
Easy Vegan Pizza Dough Recipe
Making vegan pizza dough is a lot easier than you think it is! You'll need the following ingredients to make two servings:
- 1 tsp active yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/4 cup flour (unbleached white or whole wheat for a gluten-free crust) + 1 tbsp extra flour
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
For extra flavour, adding dried herbs like oregano or basil or even garlic powder can make your pizza crust that much better!
What Else You'll Need
- Vegan mozzarella
- Vegan parmesan
- Dried oregano
- Red pepper flakes
- Fresh basil
- Garlic powder
- Pizza sauce
- Veggie toppings
This is a no-knead pizza dough recipe so it can be ready in approximately 30-40 minutes. Make sure to preheat the oven to 435ºF before beginning.
- Mix the warm water, yeast and 1 tbsp flour and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Add 1 cup flour, salt, olive oil, and your herbs (which is optional). Start mixing it, adding 3 more tbsp of flour while doing so. Make sure it's mixed well and shape it into a dough ball, letting it sit for approximately 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle and spread more olive oil on top and place the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper if you don't have a pizza stone. Start spreading it with your fingers into an oval, using a pizza roller if need be. Keep the edges thicker than the centre, but it's also up to your specific preference on how you'd like the crust. You may need to sprinkle more flour on the dough as you're spreading it.
- Spread the pizza sauce in the middle of the dough, leaving room around the edges for the crust. Next, spread some vegan mozzarella and shred some vegan parmesan on top. Finish topping it with your veggies of choice and some dried oregano and salt.
- Bake the pizza for approximately 18 minutes or until golden on the edges. Top it with more delicious vegan parm, fresh basil leaves, and red pepper flakes (optional).
- Enjoy your homemade vegan pizza with your guests!
Congratulations! You've made your first vegan pizza!
The Pizza Toppings Are Up To You
When it comes to making pizza, choosing toppings is half the fun! It's totally up to your specific preferences as to what to include on your veggie pizza. Some of our favourite topics include:
- Roasted garlic
- Sun-dried tomatoes or grilled tomatoes
- Red, green or orange bell pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh spinach or kale
- Butternut squash
- Red onion
- Green or black olives
There are no wrong choices. Whichever toppings you choose are sure to be absolutely delicious.
A Vegan Pizza Recipe Everyone Can Enjoy
Vegans and meat eaters alike will appreciate this amazing recipe. After all, not every pizza needs pepperoni or ground beef to blow your guests away! And, if your guests are gluten-free, this recipe is just as easy to incorporate whole wheat flour instead.
Recipe inspired by: Vegan Richa