Butternut squash macaroni and cheese, a more healthy version of the classic macaroni and cheese, but with the same great creamy cozy flavour!
2 cups macaroni noodles, cooked Al Dente
2 cups butternut squash sauce or soup - I love La De Da's Butternut Squash and Beet Sauce
2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup shredded Italian style cheese
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup crushed mini-baguette crisps or all-natural croutons
4 tablespoons butter
4 pieces bacon, chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 2-litre (8-cup) ovenproof dish.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes less than the package recommends. Drain and set aside
- Cook bacon in the same pan until crispy. Drain on a paper towel and set aside.
- Melt butter in the same pan. Add flour and cook for 1 minute while stirring continuously.
- Gradually add in the milk and butternut squash sauce, and cook, stirring occasionally until sauce boils and thickens.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Pour into an ovenproof dish and top with breadcrumbs and bacon. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.
If you're gluten-free, use gluten-free macaroni and replace the bread crumbs with corn flakes.
If you're dairy-free, sub the milk with almond milk and cheese with 1 cup vegan cheese + 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes.