Caribbean Stewed Butternut Squash, Pigeon Pea and Garbanzo Beans
- 1 jar of La Dee Da’s Butternut Squash Beet Sauce
- 1 tbsp. of Tijuana Tom’s Caribbean Boogie
- 1 Can of Pigeon Peas
- 1 Can of Garbanzo & Fava Bean Mix
- 1/2 tsp. of Browning Sauce
- 1 tsp. of Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 White Onion
- 2 Sprigs of Green Onion
- Small bushel of Parsley
- 2 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- ½ tsp. of All Spice
- ½ tsp. of Curry Powder
- 2 tbsp. of Brown Sugar
- Prepare your mise en place on a cutting board, strain your garbanzo and fava bean mixture and have it ready to add.
- In a saucepan, add 1 tsp. of olive oil and 2 tbsp. of brown sugar. Caramelize sugar until a deep golden brown on a medium heat. Do not burn the sugar.
- Once caramelized, quickly add your diced garlic, onions, green onions and sprigs of fresh thyme. Sautee until lightly browned and add your pigeon peas; liquid and all.
- Season your pea and aromatic mixture with ½ tsp. of all spice, ½ tsp. of curry powder and bring to a bubbling simmer on medium heat.
- Add 1 jar of La Dee Da’s Butternut Squash Beet Sauce, mix thoroughly and cover. Simmer at medium for 15 minutes.
- Uncover mixture and add 1/2 tsp. of browning sauce, 1 tbsp. of Tijuana Tom’s Caribbean Boogie and finely chopped parsley. Mix well and simmer on low for an additional 15 minutes uncovered.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, serve hot over rice for a main or as a side dish.