La Dee Da’s Butternut Squash Stuffed Pumpkin (Vegan/Gluten-Free)
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 1hr 45 mins
Total Time: 2hrs 10mins
Servings: 4 people (double recipe for more servings) up to 8-20
- 1 small to medium-sizes pumpkin
- ½ cup short or long grain brown rice
- ¾ cup roasted pecans pieces (a few pulses in the blender)
- 2 tbsp EVOO (olive oil)
- 2 tbsp EVOO (olive oil) to brush the inside and outside of pumpkin
- ½ cup finely diced onion (Spanish)
- ½ cup finely diced scallions
- 1 cup finely diced mushrooms (cremini work best)
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp fresh sage
- 1 tbsp of fresh rosemary
- 1 cup diced butternut squash chunks
- 2 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup La Dee Da Butternut Squash Beet Sauce
- 2 cups of Veggie Crumble (optional)
- ½ cup dried cranberries (optional)
- Carefully cut the lid off your pumpkin and scoop out the insides, leaving a hollow cavity and set aside.
- Cook the rice as per package instructions drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan or skillet, add 1 tbsp of oil, plus the celery, mushrooms and diced onion, butternut squash chunks and saute the mixture on a medium heat for 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently (or until the onion is translucent) add the garlic and saute another few minutes until tender.
- Stir in the cooked rice along with the sage, rosemary, cranberries(optional), pecans, remaining oil, water, La Dee Da Butternut Squash Beet Sauce, salt and black pepper.
- Add in your veggie crumble(optional) and fold into mixture.
- Gently cook the mixture for a further 10 minutes (stirring frequently). It should be fairly crumbly by this point. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, toss in the scallions and remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven for 400CF/205C.
- Brush the inside and outside of the pumpkin with olive oil, and season inside with salt and pepper.
- Fill the pumpkin with the mixture and pack it down fairly tightly, then place the lid on it.
- Wrap the pumpkin completely in a layer of aluminum foil and place on a baking tray. Bake the pumpkin in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and bake the pumpkin, uncovered for another 10 minutes.
- Note: The pumpkin is ready is ready when you can easily push a knife into the skin (be careful not to push tight through)
- Remove it from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- You can serve it by butting into four wedges or placing it on a serving platter and everyone can dig into it with serving spoon.