Serves 6 - 10 people (12 crostini)
- Zengarry Herb and Garlic Vegan Cheese
- 1 (8-inch) baguette, cut into 12 1/2-inch slices
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- ¼ cup La Dee Da Savoury Mushroom Basil Sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 2 medium (3 cups) yellow onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 8 ounces cremini or baby bella mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tsps minced garlic
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Using a pastry brush, brush both sides of the bread slices with 2 tablespoons of olive oil or more as needed. Arrange them in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until dry, lightly browned, and crisp, about 10 minutes. Flip the bread over halfway through baking. Cool on the baking sheet.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, onions, mushrooms, La Dee Da Sauce, brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir to combine. Immediately add the onions and stir to coat.
- Cook on high heat until mushrooms soften and onions become translucent. Reduce the heat to medium heat, stirring frequently, until caramelized. (approximately 10 to 12 minutes)
- Add the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Sauté for 1 minute. Season to taste with more salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Using a butter knife, spread about 2 teaspoons of the vegan cheese spread over each slice of toasted bread.
- Top each with about 2 tablespoons of the caramelized onion and mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with black pepper and herbs of your choice!